The Top Movements From Fashion Month
The fall and spring welcome an array of inspiration for fashionista’s everywhere. As fashion month takes over the prominent cities of New York, London, Milan, and Paris, a whirlwind of excitement and new styles are left in their wake. Each year we are delightfully surprised by the designers’ ability to take their runways that much farther than the season before – cue the late Karl Lagerfeld’s iconic Chanel runways that have literally taken the outdoors and brought them in. Apart from the shows, the sentiments last much longer and this season the movement we noticed the most was sustainability. A mix of the political climate, as well as climate change, has stirred the senses of fashion houses everywhere as they make grand statements about the current affairs, cutting down on waste, and empowering the modern woman, just as she is. More than anything, a sense of pride emulated from these iconic shows, which is why we’re excited to share with you a few favorite moments from around the world.
Our favorite statement: Proenza Schouler
Balance was a strong element echoed throughout the Proenza Schouler SS20 show. Taking inspiration from the women who they work with - many of whom had children - the designers wanted to ensure an easily wearability with a high fashion flair. A strong nod to the 80s, with an upcoming collaboration with Birkenstock many of the models toted these shoes down the runway much like how women of New York change into their comfy shoes once they leave the office. At the root of it, women are shown as true forces who embody strength and independence.
“We’re here at the Proenza Schouler show where the hair is a definite nod to the 80s with very dramatic ponytails that are smoothed with the new Sultra Bombshell Volumizing Dryer and sculpted with Redken Hardwear 16 Gel. A powerful dryer and great stylers are essential to any backstage look.” – Redken Global Creative Director Guido Palau
GET THE LOOK:
- Prep damp hair with Redken Extreme Play Safe for up fortify and strengthen strands with up to 450-degree heat protection, then blow dry smooth using the new Sultra bombshell Volumizing Hair Dryer (launching 10/1) to create a smooth, silky finish. The dryer emits both infrared and ions to smooth and speed up drying time, while nurturing hair.
- Run dryer along hair straight back away from the face using the speed of the small yet powerful 1600 Watt Sultra Dryer to create volume.
- Then, straighten using the Sultra Bombshell Curl, Wave, and Straight Iron to give it a flat texture to easily bind the hair.
- Apply Redken Hardwear 16 Gel and apply through the front of your hair to create a wet texture, enhancing a very strong head shape, finishing with Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray to give a strong hold with no crunch.
- Once that front texture is created, the hair is bound into a tight ponytail at the nape of the neck and wrap with leather, leaving about an inch of the ponytail out — so it resembles a horse’s tail on the bottom.
- Finish by straightening the bottom of the ponytail with the Sultra Bombshell Curl, Wave, and Straight Iron to create a strong, bold finish.
- Spritz Redken Triple Pure 32 Hairspray over the whole look for hold.